The Finishing Service Manager serves as a liaison between Professional Swine Management and its contract growers. The Finishing Service Manager is responsible for overseeing the production, wellbeing, and performance of the pigs from their arrival to their delivery; and for developing and implementing company standard operating procedures so that the company can continue to be on the leading edge of production and profit. The Finishing Service Manager reports directly to the Associate Director of Production.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with pre pig placement inspections
- Provides technical direction for animal production and transportation
- Assists with overstock movements and inventory control
- Receives and starts wean and feeder pigs for finisher sites
- Carries out vaccination schedules and manages the onsite pharmaceutical inventory and administers processes & withdrawal times
- Stays abreast of animal health concerns and works closely with the veterinary team to resolve them
- Collects tissue and blood samples as requested
- Monitors and oversees the feed budget and makes recommendations that are cost effective to the company
- Implements the marketing plan
- Develops and maintains relationships with Contract Growers and serves as a Liaison between them and PSM management
- Explains the closeout procedures to the contract growers
- Conducts regular farm visits, and completes and submits site reports to the Associate Director of Production
- Complies with all company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPS) and ensures they are being implemented and followed
- Complies with the practices and principals of biosecurity to safeguard the life and health of the swine herd
- Assists in the maintenance of facilities, equipment, and machinery to keep them in working condition
- Ensures the welfare of all animals
- Assists in other duties as assigned management
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE:
- 2 year Agriculture Degree AND
- 2 year experience in wean to finish swine production OR
- A combination of Education & Experience
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Requires proven ability to lead by example, foster mentoring relationships, support organizational change, and to build a team environment using positive reinforcement
- Use of logic and reasoning skills to identify strengths & weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems, and take action
- Requires strong leadership, project management, and time management skills
- Requires outstanding verbal and written skills
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office products (Word, excel, Outlook) and software specific to swine industry
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to perform repeated dynamic movements from below to above shoulder height
- Ability to walk, stand, bend, kneel, and squat for extended periods of time
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to follow directions
- Ability to work in fast paced environment
- A minimum high school diploma.
- Maintain an acceptable MVR determined by PSM.
- Have extensive knowledge in commercial swine production.
- Have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office and related computer issues.
- Be willing to be on call 365 days a year, 24 hours per day, excluding vacation.
- Hours of work are expected to be longer than subordinate employees.
- Frequent travel will be required to complete job requirements.
- Be able to communicate in English orally and in writing form.
- Be able to maneuver through narrow walk ways and ascend near vertical stairways.
- Be able to spend majority of work related time in confinement livestock facilities.
- Be comfortable working in close proximity to all age categories of swine (weaned-finish).
- Be able to lift in excess of 50 pounds moving up to 100 yards repeatedly.
- Be able push/pull up to 350 pounds with a cart on wheels when required.
- Be responsive to visible signs and verbal alarms of animals.
- Be able to walk and stand for longs periods of time on different surfaces.
- Be able to climb different types of ladders including feed bin ladders.
- General climate- Both climate controlled office and environmentally controlled confined livestock facilities.
- During summer months, outside temperatures may exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit for entire scheduled work day.
- During the winter months outside temperatures may fall below 0 degrees Fahrenheit for entire scheduled work day.
- During and after heavy rains or snowfalls the road in and around the farms can become extremely muddy, snow covered, icy and difficult to maneuver on.
- During different job duties inside and/or outside noise can become very loud.
- Will be exposed daily to odors, dusts and gasses that may be uncomfortable or hazardous if proper procedures are not followed.
- Able to influence the actions and opinions of others in a desired direction; to exhibit judgment in leading others to worthwhile objectives.
- Able to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a systematic approach to decision making.
- Able to work with people in such manners to build high morale, create positive energy, and group commitments to goals and objectives.
- Able to establish and carry out specific courses of action for self and/or groups in an independent manner; willing to commit to long hours in order to reach goals.
- Able to relate to routine operations in a manner that is consistent with existing solutions to problems; to conform to establish policies and procedures.
- Self-motivated and dedicated to the company.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
** Job description may not be all inclusive **
Human Resources Dept
Professional Swine Management, LLC.
PO Box 220
Carthage, IL 62321-0220