Swine Genetics Production Manager
The Swine Genetics Production Manager is to facilitate genetic improvement in PSM genetic system. Is also responsible for designing, developing and executing genetic services to PSM’s internal and external customers. The objective is to increase the success of our customers by maximizing the value and realization of impact of genetic trends and technologies. This person is responsible for execution of accurate data collection, accurate information reporting and timely submission of answers to data input system. This person is responsible for increasing the reproductive performance of the genetic herds and sow herd through the use of available technologies.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Execute genetic program as outlined by seed stock companies and meet expected genetic trend lines.
- Ensure the farm is adhering to the genetic work instructions for the site including maintenance of genetic targets of the unit.
- Responsible for data integrity in all genetic documentation and individual pig identification including tagging and notching at birth
- Train all employees to properly fill out genetic paperwork according to the genetic work instructions. Audit all record keeping, correct errors and retrain as needed.
- Accountable for transfer of accurate data to the system production managers and all Genetic Stakeholders
- Provide genetic services to PSM customers – understand customer goals and objectives and work on genetic service program that meet those objectives
- Develop training and support materials for the genetic programs
- Responsible for the evaluation of each animal in the unit at weaning and at final selection into the unit to include oversight of weighing, ultrasound scanning and feet and leg structure, body conformation and underline scoring.
- Assists in gilt selection and development to ensure gilts are lean and physically sound
- Complies with company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPS)
- Manages and maintains records and uses analysis to track performance of pigs
- Complies with the practices and principals of biosecurity to safeguard the life and health of the swine herd
- Ensures the welfare of all animals
- Assists other departments as necessary to ensure daily tasks are completed
- Assists in other duties as assigned
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to stand, walk, kneel, squat and be on feet for up to 10 hours per day
- Frequent bending, reaching, pulling, lifting – occasionally lifting and pulling up to 100 lbs with assistance of another team member
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Ability to work in noise levels that may require hearing protection in some areas
- Ability to display a high level of respect to team members and animals
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to give and follow directions
- Ability to work in fast moving environment
- Requires strong technical communication skills to support and position genetic improvements to customers.
- This person must work closely with the production and farm managers to ensure success of the farm.
- Must be available to work 11 of 14 days in a pay cycle, including some weekends and holidays
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agri-Science, Agri-Business, Agri-Engineering or related field required.
- 1 year leadership experience AND/OR at least 1-2 years’ experience in swine industry is preferred
Human Resources Dept
Professional Swine Management, LLC.
PO Box 220
Carthage, IL 62321-0220